All About CedarNet Local Business Directory CedarNet email Information for our Members
Home Historical Tour of La Porte City, Iowa

La Porte City

Dr. Jesse Watson came to Iowa from La Porte, Indiana, in 1855. Along with previous settler Joe Catlin, he platted a village where the trail crossed Big Creek and named it after his hometown, La Porte. This name was later changed to La Porte City because there was another La Porte in Iowa. Also incorporated into La Porte City was Ottawa, a small village platted separately on the west side of the creek. La Porte City is still known for its main street, which was originally paved in brick. Much of this brick still remains today.

  1. La Porte City Hall
    202 Main Street
  2. Cedar Valley Nature Trail
    Eighth and Commercial Streets
  3. FFA Agricultural Museum
    Chestnut Street
  4. Syndicate Block
    200 Block of Main Street
  5. K. and P. Building
    201 Main Street
  6. Hotel Terry (site)
    Main and Commercial
  7. McQuilken House
    602 Commercial
  8. Gingrich House
    300 Walnut
  1. First Iron Bridge (site)
    Main Street, across Big Creek
  2. WCF&N
    The WCF&N provided a daily link between the communities.
  3. Allen Opera House (site)
    Main and Chestnut Streets
  4. West View Cemetery
    Rural La Porte City, south of town
  5. Boehringer-Lange-Schreiber Homestead
    8214 Spring Creek Road
  6. Shady Grove Store
    At the Boehringer-Lange-Schreiber homestead
  7. LaPorte City High School/Junior High School

Link to historical sites in:

Cedar Falls | Waterloo | Evansdale | Gilbertville | La Porte City | Raymond | Hudson | Finchford/Janesville

Return to Historical Tour Main Page:

Tour Home

CedarNet is looking for your organization's webpage to be hosted or linked with us.

Last updated Wednesday, June 2, 2004

  Main Page Search CedarNet Help
Copyright © 1994-2004 CedarNet, Inc.
  Please make a donation to help us help our community