La Porte City Hall was built in 1912 and originally served
as the depot for the Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Northern
(WCF&N) Interurban Railroad. The line ran from Waterloo
to Cedar Rapids and was in operation until 1945.
often the only daily link that small communities such as
La Porte City had to larger towns. The short trip into Waterloo
was known as the "puddle jumper, and it brought residents
of the small farming towns into contact with big city schools,
businesses and ways of life.
When the line
ceased to operate, the La Porte depot became the home of
the town's public library. It was listed on the National
Register of Historic Places in 1977 and an effort was begun
to restore the building to its earlier role as a central
The depot was
subsequently renovated by La Porte City for use as its city
hall. It was dedicated for this purpose in 1982. The library
has been moved but all other city offices are now located
Of special note
in the building is the cathedral ceiling, with the original
wooded beams. Also significant is a model of an interurban
railroad car, paintings by local artist Mayme Gill that
show the depot in its original state, and a picture of the
steel bridge which stood just to the north of the building.