served the community of La Porte City as everything from
an opera hall to a billiards hall to a grocery store, this
1886 building was demolished in October of 1996. Built by
M.S. Allen, the building went from being an opera hall to
Goodwin's grocery. Up until its demolition, an advertisement
for the grocery store could be seen on the side of the building.
During the prohibition, a small bar operated in the building,
and during the 1950s it was used as a schoolroom. A preservation
effort for the building was begun in 1995, but a lack of
funds for preservation caused demolition to occur.