Hattie opened the first schoolhouse in La Porte City in
the mid 1800s. It was made of logs located on "school
house square" (1st Street and Commercial). Dr. Wasson
donated the property for school purposes only. At the same
location, a second frame building was erected in 1863-64,
and near this school the first brick school building was
built in 1871-72.
By 1894, on "school
house square," was the first High School, built in
brick and masonry. Junior High students and faculty occupied
the school from 1954 to 1975. The building was disassembled
in the late seventies. The drawing is how it looked in 1919.
The Grade" is a sketch of students in the school from
Mr. Kinne's art class, 1970-71. This was inside looking
towards the north from atop the stairs.
Voelschow has donated the drawings and accompanying
text to the CedarNet Historical Tour of Black Hawk County
Tour in 1998.