All About CedarNet Local Business Directory CedarNet email Information for our Members
Home WCF&N

WCF&N

Location:

La Porte City

The WCF&N provided a daily link between the small communities, such as La Porte City, with Waterloo. It brought residents of the small farming towns into contact with big city schools, businesses and way of life. It provided a way to ship produce and for people to travel to Waterloo for shopping, and a way for Catholic children to have access to the Catholic school located in Waterloo. The company was founded as a Waterloo horse car line in 1895. By 1914 it extended from Cedar Rapids to Waverly, with both freight and passenger service powered by electricity. Passengers could make the 60-mile trip from Waterloo to Cedar Rapids in 1917 in an hour and 45 minutes. Freight took approximately three hours over the same route. The WCF&N continued its passenger service between Waterloo and Cedar Rapids until 1956. The company eventually became part of the Illinois Central Railroad, which later abandoned the track between Waterloo and Cedar Rapids.

For vintage pictures of the WCF&N see Dave's Train Pictures: Waterloo, Cedar Falls & Northern 1953-1954

Click to Follow the Tour
     

Return to the La Porte City main page


Link to historical sites in:

Cedar Falls | Waterloo | Evansdale | Gilbertville | La Porte City | Raymond | Hudson | Finchford/Janesville



Return to Historical Tour Main Page:

Tour Home

CedarNet is looking for your organization's webpage to be hosted or linked with us.

Last updated Wednesday, June 23, 2004

  Main Page Search CedarNet Help
Copyright © 1994-2004 CedarNet, Inc.
  Please make a donation to help us help our community