1845, two covered wagons stopped on the east bank of the
Cedar River at a place known as Prairie Rapids Crossing.
In these two wagons were the founders of present day Waterloo,
George and Mary Hanna along with their family. In the summer
of 1846, the Virdens and the Mullans arrived, becoming the
Hanna's first neighbors. In 1851, the town was awarded a
post office and a permanent title, but the name needed to
be changed. Charles Mullan, who managed to secure seven
signatures on a petition to get the post office, thought
that the name Prairie Rapids Crossing was too cumbersome
for mailing addresses. As a result, the name of the settlement
was changed to Waterloo.
may travel to historic sites in Waterloo on this tour by
clicking on numbers on the map or by clicking on the name
of the site in the list below. To go to sites in the downtown
Waterloo area, click on "Waterloo Historical
Area," which is outlined in red. This map will show
you the locations for sites 63-64, 67-78, 80-85, 92, 94-99,
101, 103, 105, 107, 109-111 and 155-156.