Hall honors all veterans of U.S. military service. The library
on the top floor includes such wartime mementos as uniforms,
medals and weapons. The building has a more peaceful purpose,
however. Its meeting rooms, kitchen and dining area are
used regularly for gatherings of 17 local patriotic and
was built in 1915-16 with the help of a special $14,000
tax levy. The project was sponsored by local chapters of
the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) to honor soldiers
and sailors who died in the Civil War. The cornerstone,
laid on September 2, 1915, contains current newspapers,
lists of members of patriotic organizations and rosters
of the three G.A.R. posts that existed in Black Hawk County
at that time.
For more information,
call (319) 234-6703.