area, on a high bluff overlooking the Cedar River, was originally
known as "Mullarky's Pasture," after its owner, E. 0. Mullarky.
Nine acres of
the pasture were sold to the Iowa Conference of the Evangelical
Church in 1916 for $200 an acre. The Conference wanted the
land for its annual camp meeting, previously held at Chautauqua
Park in Waterloo.
The first camp
meeting was held here in 1917, after the completion of a
tabernacle, administration building, dormitory, kitchen
and dining hall. The site was named "Riverview Park" because
of its beautiful location.
The Park was
later enlarged by, the purchase of 11 more acres at a price
of $500 an acre. The Park was financed in part by the leasing
of cabin lots for a period of 99 years. More than 85 cabins
were eventually built on these lots.
the Park has been the site of the annual one-week summer
Falls Bible Conference. The Conference is an interdenominational
symposium that has earned national recognition.