Galloway was the developer of the Cedar Heights area of
Cedar Falls. He purchased 250 to 300 acres of land here
from Samuel Rownd in 1909-10 and formed the Galloway Investment
Company. This company eventually owned all the land bounded
by Rainbow Drive, the Cedar River, Belle Avenue and Parrish
Street. Galloway's many commercial interests also included
a lumberyard, a manufacturing company and a seed nursery.
was incorporated as a town, with Galloway as mayor. His
plat of Cedar Heights included donations of land for the
present Lookout Park and the site of a school, where Cedar
Heights Presbyterian Church now stands. Cedar Heights became
part of Cedar Falls in 1935.
on Grand Avenue was a 20-room mansion. It was built of red
brick with a steel frame, and contained five bedrooms (each
with a sleeping porch) on the second floor. Servants’
quarters, a large playroom, six marble bathrooms and oak
woodwork made the house one of the area's finest when it
was built in 1917. The stone pillars at Edward and Grand
marked the entrance to the Galloway estate. Other pillars
marked other entrances.
also instrumental in the development of the Prospect Hills
of Waterloo and the Cedarloo section of Cedar Falls. He
lived in this house until his death in 1952 at the age of
The home has
received extensive renovation and is a private residence.