UNI Campanile was built in 1926 in observance of the University's
50th anniversary. The 100-foot tall structure was financed
by contributions from alumni, faculty, and friends and stands
as one of UNI's most
familiar campus landmarks.
houses a 47-bell carillon, one of only 180 in North America.
The bells range in size from five
feet to six inches in diameter. The largest bell, known
as the "President's Bell," weighs 5,000 pounds. The original
15 bells were cast in New York. Four were removed when an
additional 36 bells (cast in The Netherlands) were installed
Until 1968 the
Campanile contained a historic clock, invented by Charles
Fasoldt and exhibited at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition
in 1876. The clock was presented to UNI in 1926 under the
terms of Fasoldt's will, which awarded the clock as a gift
to the institution that could provide the most attractive
setting. The UNI Campanile was chosen for this honor. The
Fasoldt Clock was transferred to the UNI Museum when the
Campanile clock was converted to electricity.
For more information
about the Campanile, contact the UNI Alumni Association
at 273-2355. For more information about the carillon instrument,
contact the School of Music at 273-2024.