All About CedarNet Local Business Directory CedarNet email Information for our Members
Home Spanish Cannons

Spanish Cannons

Location:

Cedar Falls
UNI Campus
23rd Street and College Street

These two cannons have been part of the UNI campus for more than 95 years, but their history goes back much farther. They were among 80 guns brought to Florida in 1565 by Pedro Menendez d'Aviles, the founder of St. Augustine. The guns were part of that town's defenses, and were used in 1702 and 1741 against the English.

When Spain sold Florida to the United States in 1819, the cannons became the property of the federal government. They were presented to the University in 1901 through the efforts of Congressman D. B. Henderson and the Cedar Falls post of the Grand Army of the Republic.

These UNI landmarks are located on the eastern edge of the campus, just north of the President's House. Stacks of cannon balls that once stood next to the cannons became "bowling" balls for students and were eventually converted to scrap metal during World War II.

Click to Follow the Tour
     

Return to the Cedar Falls main page

Return to the Cedar Falls Historic Area Page


Link to historical sites in:

Cedar Falls | Waterloo | Evansdale | Gilbertville | La Porte City | Raymond | Hudson | Finchford/Janesville



Return to Historical Tour Main Page:

Tour Home

CedarNet is looking for your organization's webpage to be hosted or linked with us.

Last updated Wednesday, June 23, 2004

  Main Page Search CedarNet Help
Copyright © 1994-2004 CedarNet, Inc.
  Please make a donation to help us help our community