and Charles Fields came to Cedar Falls in 1873, where they
purchased 960 acres of land west of town and began a prosperous
stock breeding farm. In addition, they founded a bank in
Cedar Falls, with William as president and Charles as cashier.
The farm grew
in size to 3,000 acres, employing as many as 30 people.
The brothers raised shorthorn cattle, Berkshire and Poland
China hogs, and Cotswold sheep, as well as Cleveland Bar
and English Shire horses. The three barns on the farm housed
as many as 200 work and thoroughbred horses, worth more
panic of 1893 cost the Fields brothers their bank and much
of their fortune. They remained in Cedar Falls until 1906,
when they sold the farm to George Uhl. Uhl's son, Marshall,
is the present owner of the farm and its handsome fieldstone
barn, which is listed on the National Register of Historic