Rownd, Sr. first came to what is now Cedar Falls in 1850.
He liked the area and began to acquire land. By 1859, when
he moved his family to Cedar Falls and settled permanently,
he owned 4,000 acres. He and his family eventually owned
nearly all of what is now College Hill and Cedar Heights,
as well as additional land to the south of town. Rownd began
building the house in 1865. It was expanded and modified
during the next 30 years, reaching completion by 1895. The
presumed foundation of an earlier house can be seen in back
of the existing building. The house was built of limestone
(possibly quarried at 18th and Main in Cedar Falls) in the
Queen Anne style. The two-story house features four bedrooms
and oak woodwork.
The house remained
in the family until 1945, when Dr. Cecil Adamson purchased
it from the estate of Kathryn Rownd Kreger, a granddaughter
of Samuel Rownd, Sr. Today, the home is a private residence.