A. Dugan was born in Albany, New York in 1846. He was raised
and educated there, and served in the Union Army during
the Civil War. Dugan and his wife, Anna Barstow Dugan, came
to Cedar Falls in 1884 because of the growing milling business
along the Cedar River. He became the first superintendent
of the Cedar Falls Milling Company, and was later manager
and president of the Waterloo and Cedar Falls Milling Company,
founded in 1900 with a capital stock of $500,000. The Waterloo
and Cedar Falls Milling Company owned six mills and controlled
the waterpower in both towns. The firm employed 40 workers
and could produce 1,200 barrels of flour, corn meal, pearl
barley and other milled grains a day.
Dugane felt that
his Irish name lacked distinction. Soon after coming to
Cedar Falls he changed it to DuGane. He built this house,
considered to be one of the most beautiful in town, in 1895.
It was built in the Queen Anne style, with pent roofs and
an unusual open tower. The original staircase is still intact,
and is considered a masterpiece of intricate design. Today,
the home is a private residence.